Knowing how to install your solar panels will save you money and also make you earn a lot if you intend to render such services. Hello and welcome to Actosgames.
Solar installation allows independence from the electrical grid and also gives you the opportunity to earn profits by selling power to suppliers if need be. It saves you from the stress of paying electricity bills.
How to Install Solar Panels
You must have gotten a solar system already and you are bothered on how to install the panels. Or you have contacted an installer but can’t afford to pay for the feels of installation. Well, if you are in such a situation, then you have a solution right here!
In this article, we will be giving you a complete guide on how you can install your solar panel and save yourself from the stress of paying for the installation. You can check out the steps below and do well to read the content till the end so you don’t miss out on other vital information. Easy guide:
- First, find the best location for the installation free from obstructions. If you want you can build an area that will be for the panel.
- When that is done, you will have to mount the panel in the area that is suitable for it. The panels are mounted on the platform using brackets, bolts, or clamps.
- Ensure you use the role of the accessories as it ensures that the modules are held firmly on the platform. And be careful when installing the panel to avoid accidents or even damage.
- After installation, the next thing to do is wiring. You need to wire the solar modules together using junction connectors or fuse combiners box to ensure that the cables are well insulated. This is very important to note just to avoid power leakage and accidents.
- When wiring, ensure you connect the exterior wiring with the interior control panels.
- The next step is to ground the panel and the mounting system. This is very important, as it protects you and your household from electrical shock. Also, it offers protection against fire and lighting.
- Furthermore, you will have to connect the electrical components. This includes the charge controller, battery bank, power inverter, and energy meter.
- Next, direct power from the inverter to the main electrical control panel of the house when the above is completed, and run a test to see if your effort was a success.
Tools Needed for Solar Panel Installation
Before installing a solar panel, you must have certain instruments in place. These tools are very important as they concern the installation process. Some of these tools are:
- Drill with bits
- Measuring Tape
- Pencil or marker
- Chalk line
- Metal cutting saw
- Electrical wiring tools
- Wrench set
Solar Panel Materials
Before paying for a solar panel, you have to ensure all the materials are completed. This is the more reason why it is advisable to buy your solar in one particular retail store. Below are some materials solar panels cont Photovoltaic panels
- Racking system
- Heat sink (if needed)
- Power inverter
- Electrical wiring components
- Roof sealant (roofing tar or silicone)
- Energy meter (optional)
- Charge controller
Safety consideration when installing Solar Panel
- Use extreme caution and fall protection when working on a roof
- Be very careful when bringing materials to the roof and while working near the edge
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions on the menu
- Get an expert to help if need be
- Follow all safety procedures regarding the installation of the electrical components
How to Install Solar Panels on Roof
If you want to install your own solar panel or want to help someone, you may want to start by hiring a solar energy consultant.
This is vital because a hired expert will help you make certain decisions.
Also, they will give you all the instructions as it concerns the safety of your home before and after the installation. Below are some instructions you need to consider before installing a solar panel in your home:
- Ensure you check for compatibility before installation. This will help you find out if your roof is large enough or if you have to place the panel at the ground level.
- Before installation, it is advisable to remove trees or trim branches and as time goes on your electrical panel might need upgrading.
- Also, select the size that is compatible with your roof.
- Furthermore, you will have to decide what you want the solar energy to provide or run in your home before buying.
You can simply purchase the energy to run lighting or a few appliances and you can create enough energy to sell some back to the power company and others if you wise.
- Next, if your area of residence requires separate electrical permission before solar installation, then you have to obtain that and wait for approval before purchasing the solar system. Also, ensure you apply for incentives.
This is because you may be able to receive tax credits, rebates, or even grants from multiple sources to offset costs in some cases.
- Ensure all the materials are complete and compatible with each other. Thus, getting all the materials from one place or store will save you the stress of incomplete materials.
- While installing, ensure you follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Next, while installing the panels, you have to connect them to the racking using the supplied clamps to secure them in place before wiring each panel to the adjacent panels.
- When you have done the above, you will have to install the heat sink which reduces the heat generated by the panels. They are very important as they increase the efficiency of the array.
Haven followed all that is given above, you have to complete the process by installing the charge controller, battery bank, power inverter, and energy meter while following the instructions on the manufacturer menu.
When all is done properly you can then proceed to check all the wiring and if possible conduct an electrical inspection and connect the electrical panel when the inspection is completed safety is certain.
Types of Solar Panel Mounts
Solar panel mounts are used to install photovoltaic panels and they are all available in three main types. These include:
- Flush mounts
- Pole mounts
- Roof ground mounts
You can get either for them as they are good and compatible
When to Install Solar Panels
Well, solar panels can be installed at any time, during any year and season. However, if there is heavy rainfall it will be best to wait till the weather is bright enough. Also, if you live in areas that receive regular snowfall, it will be best to wait until the snow has melted for ease and safety, depending on the type of solar panels you are installing.
Can I Install Solar Panels on a Flat Roof?
The answer is “Yes”. Solar panels can be installed on flat roofs using mounting systems specifically designed for such installations. These mounting systems can adjust the tilt of the panels to optimize sun exposure and maximize energy production for your comfort.
What is the First Step in Installing Solar Panels?
First, you have to conduct a solar site assessment. This involves evaluating or inspecting your roof’s suitability, considering factors like its orientation, tilt, shading, and available space to determine the optimal placement for solar panels.
How do you Install Solar Panels Step by Step?
- Install your racking or build a platform for the solar panels
- Mount and secure the solar panels on the racking
- Wire the solar panels
- Connect the wiring to your control panel
- Ground your system for safety purposes Step 6: Connect your solar array to your home
How Long Does it Take to Install Solar Panels?
Well, it depends on certain factors such as the complexity of your system, the size of the installation crew, and weather conditions. On average, residential installations can take anywhere from a few days to a couple of weeks from start to finish.
Where can I Purchase Solar Panels?
You can purchase your solar panel at any solar energy company, solar energy retail store, and even online stores like Amazon and more.
Do I need a Professional to Install Solar Panels?
Though, while some DIY enthusiasts may be able to install solar panels, it is advisable to hire a professional solar installer if you can’t install it by yourself.
This is because, they have the expertise to ensure proper installation, wiring, and connection to the grid, maximizing the efficiency and safety of your solar system.
What Permits or Approvals are Required for Solar Panel Installation?
The permits required vary by location. In some areas, you typically need building and electrical permits. Notwithstanding, your solar installer can guide you through the permitting process, ensuring your installation complies with local regulations and rules.
Where to Install Solar Panels?
Solar Panels are generally installed on rooftops, building tops, or stand-alone facilities. Notwithstanding, it is vital to install your solar panel at a location that gets the most direct sun exposure.
How many Solar Panels are needed to Power a House?
The number of solar panels needed to power a house will vary depending on the amount of electricity your home consumes. As a minimum, however, we’d expect most homes will require at least 10 panels.